Sunday, April 24, 2022, 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Confirmation is an opportunity for our sixth graders to spend time together exploring what it means to be disciples of Jesus Christ and deepening their connections with God, people and their God-given purpose. Confirmands are joined in their faith exploration by parents, teachers and Faith Partners. At the end of their Confirmation year, Confirmands who have not previously been baptized may choose to be baptized. Those who have been baptized may choose to affirm their faith. Confirmands may also decide they are not ready to take either of those steps yet.
Confirmation meets on Sunday evenings from 5-7 p.m. during the school year.
For more information, please see the Frequently Asked Questions below and/or contact Rev. Barbara Dunlap, .
What do you learn in Confirmation?
During the Confirmation year, students learn about what it means to be a United Methodist Christian. We focus on the vows that the Confirmands will be asked on Confirmation Sunday. Other lessons include topics such as church history, worship, sacraments, the Trinity and grace.
What are the vows I will be asked for Confirmation Sunday?
- Do you renounce the spiritual forces of wickedness, reject the evil powers of this world, and repent of your sin?
- Do you accept the freedom and power God gives you to resist evil, injustice, and oppression in whatever forms they present themselves?
- Do you confess Jesus Christ as your Savior, put your whole trust in his grace, and promise to serve him as your Lord, in union with the church which Christ has opened to people of all ages, nations, and races?
- As a member of Christ’s universal church, will you be loyal to The United Methodist Church, and do all in your power to strengthen its ministries?
- As a member of this congregation, will you faithfully participate in its ministries by your prayers, your presence, your gifts, your service, and your witness?
What is a Faith Partner?
Faith Partners serve as mentors to our sixth graders, commit to a one-on-one relationship with a student and attend Confirmation one Sunday evening per month.
Faith Partners must be a member of FUMC Hurst and attend worship regularly. They must also be Ministry Safe trained.
Faith Partners are not expected to have all the answers. They are expected to be willing to ask questions and to grow in their faith along with their Confirmand.
If you are interested in being a Faith Partner, please contact Rev. Barbara Dunlap, .
Is Confirmation available to those other than 6th graders?
We offer an online Confirmation class. It runs concurrently with our 6th grade class (usually September- early May). However, Confirmation is not required for one to join the United Methodist Church. We also offer other opportunities for adults to learn about the United Methodist Church and FUMC Hurst.
If you are interested in one of these classes or joining FUMC Hurst, please contact Rev. Barbara Dunlap, If you are a youth, please contact for more information about joining FUMC Hurst.