We have all missed worshiping together in our Sanctuary and we are excited to see one another in person again! The Re-Opening Team has established what, we believe, to be a safe plan to return to in-person worship. Our Board of Trustees has approved this plan. REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED. Nursery, children and youth Sunday School, Children’s Chapel, and adult classes will not meet in person on Sunday mornings for the foreseeable future.
While we feel we have a good plan, we encourage those who are at risk and/or not comfortable yet with large gatherings to please feel free to stay home and worship with us online at 11 a.m. We continue to keep an eye on the epidemic numbers in our area and believe we can move forward with this first phase of re-opening.
While registering for worship goes against all we believe about hospitality and welcoming the stranger, it is necessary for now due to limited seating. With six foot distancing, the sanctuary currently has 38 spots that seat 1-2 people and 3-5 people.
Registration will open on Tuesday morning and close on Friday at noon each week. You will receive an informational email on Friday with instructions. If you register and then find yourself unable to attend, please email or call the church office at 817.282.7384 and leave a voicemail as soon as possible in order to allow for someone else to attend.
SUNDAY WORSHIP REGISTRATION LINKS
We Covenant Together
The first of John Wesley’s Simple Rules is “Do no harm.” Our top priority is keeping worshipers and staff safe and healthy to the best of our ability. This starts with each of us covenanting together that we will do our part to make this happen. This includes:
- Following the procedures set by the Re-Opening Team.
- Wearing a mask properly. Masks are required to enter the building. If you forget yours, we have some extras.
- Remaining six feet apart from anyone we did not come with.
- And most importantly, staying home if you have been in contact with a person with a confirmed or presumed diagnosis of COVID-19 or have any of the following symptoms not attributable to another condition in the past 14 days:
- Fever (100.4 or higher)
- Cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Chills, head or muscle aches
- Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting
- Other unexplained flu-like symptoms
What to Expect
- High touch surfaces in the Sanctuary (including pews) and throughout the building have been disinfected. There are a number of touchless hand sanitizing stations available. However, please treat it as you would any public space.
- When you arrive, there will be two marked entrances near the Fellowship Hall with one of our staff greeting you at the door. Because we have a number of people who will need to be seated, it is most helpful if you arrive a few minutes early.
- You will remain outside (socially distanced and weather permitting) until another staff person comes and escorts you to your seat. Unfortunately, we cannot take seat requests, so we appreciate your understanding if you do not get to sit in your preferred spot. Once you are seated, we ask you to remain in your space until the service is over.
- The Foyer restrooms will be available, with one at a time inside. You are encouraged to use the restroom before you arrive. If you need to use the restroom, please do not congregate in the Foyer or hallway.
- The pews are marked off to keep households/individuals six feet apart. There will be a simple bulletin on your seat. Bibles, hymnals, and all pew pocket materials have been removed as they are difficult to sanitize without ruining. You are encouraged to bring your own Bible!
- Research has shown that singing can be a very risky activity even with masks. Therefore, we are asking the congregation not to sing along with the song leader (who will be at a greater distance from people for safety reasons). Words to hymns will be printed so you can read and meditate on the words.
- Welcome pads and offering baskets will not be passed. You are encouraged to check in your attendance through the FUMC Hurst or Shelby apps. You can give your offering electronically through the church website or app. Cash and checks will be accepted in the offering box as you exit the Narthex.
- Following the service, you will remain in your seats until you are escorted out by one of our staff. Please place your bulletin in one of the receptacles in the Narthex. Once you are outside, you are welcome to visit with friends, but encouraged to keep your mask on and socially distance as you do.
- For now, communion will not be served at this service. If you would like to receive communion by one of our clergy in a small group setting, you may want to consider registering for Communion in the Courtyard.
If you or anyone in your household exhibits COVID-19 symptoms or tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of attending a worship service, contact Rev. Holly Dittrich, Executive Pastor at , or Lori Friend, Business Manager at so that we can follow appropriate notification procedures. Your name will remain confidential.