In our 147–year history, much about our church has changed: the buildings, the location, the people, and the needs of the world. What has not changed is First United Methodist Church of Hurst’s desire to reach out to the underserved in our community — a desire deeply rooted in the love of God. It is this love that guides the vision of the church as we seek living faithfulness, transforming generosity, radical welcome, and joyful gratitude.
First United Methodist Church of Hurst began in 1870 as Isham Chapel Methodist Protestant Church, named after its organizing pastor, Rev. Marion Isham. It was located at 9200 Trammel Davis Road (just east of Precinct Line Road, near the River Trails area). The members originally met in a log building.
In 1876, a small frame structure was built. Men and women sat on separate sides of the church on split–log pews. From 1879 to 1891, the church was also used as a community school. A tablernacle was built in 1915.
Hurst grew significantly after Bell Helicopter opened, as did the church. In 1952, the church built a larger building, and the name was changed to Hurst First Methodist Church.
Soon the congregation again outgrew its building. The first service at the new (and current) location was on May 17, 1964. In 1968, the church became First United Methodist Church of Hurst.